Drug companies that manufacture Testosterone have been actively marketing to men over 50, who are feeling tired, lack energy, experience bone density loss, loss of muscle strength or decreased sex drive, as if there is something wrong with them. Instead, these symptoms are a result of the natural aging process. As you age, the testosterone levels decline. The drug companies urge you to start Testosterone replacement therapy to erase side effects of the lowered testosterone levels that come naturally in the aging process. They state that the use of testosterone will increase muscle strength, energy levels, sexual activity BUT fail to mention the side effects the drug can have.
4 dangers have been noted in the PLOS and JAMA research studies:
- DANGER - The younger you are when you use the testosterone therapy, the likelihood of experiencing dangerous side effects increases.
- DANGER - That men younger than 65 with clear indications of heart disease also demonstrated a two- to three-fold increased risk of heart attack shortly after initiating testosterone therapy.
- DANGER – The risk of suffering a heart attack more than doubled among men 65 and older after starting testosterone therapy.
- DANGER - Older men with both mobility limitations and low testosterone levels suffered significantly more adverse events like cardiac, skin, tissue and respiratory disorders.
These prescriptions are expensive so they are very profitable for the drug companies that manufacture them. Currently this is a $2 billion market with an estimated 5.3 million prescriptions written in the U.S. The use of testosterone is rising partly due to the aggressive marketing tactics in commercials on TV. Nearly 25% of the patients never even have their testosterone levels checked before beginning the T-therapy.
The most common products are:
- Androderm, Androgel, Testim, and Testoderm - applied in patches or gels
- Delatestryl and Depo-Testosterone - injections
In reality, the actual health benefits of such prescription drugs are largely unknown. The FDA has only approved testosterone therapy products for men who have low testosterone levels and an associated medical condition such as hypogonadism, a diminished functional level of the gonads. The FDA has specifically NOT approved use in younger men unless they suffer from the associated medical complications involving hormones.
Kondos Law Offices is currently investigating cases of heart attack, stroke and cardiac death in patients taking T-Therapy medications. If you or a family member was prescribed testosterone and was hospitalized from complications, contact our firm immediately. We can answer any questions you may have about the therapy and your legal options, completely free of charge.
If you or a family member was prescribed testosterone and was hospitalized from complications, contact Daniel P. Kondos today. We can answer any questions you may have about the therapy and your legal options, completely free of charge. Attorneys are available by phone, e-mail, or by clicking here.
The injuries are serious and so are we.